Not what we would eat but man is adaptable to his surroundings. When in Rome.... but not sure if I would be brave enough to try any exotic foods or not.
So glad you dropped by. Feel free to sit a spell. We can just chill and enjoy the quiet here ... or if you prefer, we can mull over the state of this sofa, or the state of our immediate surroundings, or the state of this rather chaotic world. Seems like the uncertainty principle of the quantum world is being released to join those pesky ills of Pandora's box. Maybe together we can deflect their "slings and arrows" from direct hits on our good natures. I find peaceful solace sitting here, but "when the Quantum of Solace drops to zero, humanity and consideration of one human for another is gone and the relationship is finished." In a few days I will travel to ancient lands, I will stand on ground that hunter-gatherers first walked 40 000 years ago. I will touch the 900 year old pillars in the World Heritage Site of the Angkor Wat complex in Cambodia. I hope to find a peace born of simplicity, a grounding aura that reminds us that we are connected to the ghosts ...
An 8 hour bus ride to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia. Stopped off to see the silk making process at a community start up. An ex American soldier started it to provide employment for local women injured or widowed during the war. His widow carries it on. Silkworms are hatched. They are pinpoints that can only be seen when they move. They eat ONLY mulberry leaves and the home tree orchard supplies the program. After ten weeks they start spinning cocoons which takes 3-4 days. The cocoons are put in the sun to die, because if they burrow out, the silk is unusable. If they do burrow out they are a moth. The gentleman has attached 60 (yes sixty) strands, one from each of 60 cocoons to make 1 (yes one) silk thread to weave. The women are weaving scarves, they make one a day. The woman is winding spools of blue dyed silk thread. Sorry haven’t determined how to order pictures yet. Her scarves cost $20 US dollars for small and medium, $30 for large (width). The ...
A deep dive into an alien culture is a first for me. I not only saw as a tourist, I learned as a traveller - about people, about history, about similarities and differences, about me. I have a deep respect for these SE Asian cultures. There were Jamie challenges to overcome - the constant demanding requests to buy or give money for an unasked service (a man on the street in Ho Chi Minh City started to clean the sole of my shoe with a toothbrush and wanted money; a 6 or 7 year old girl put a live tarantula on my chest and wanted 1000 riel, I didn’t even know it was there); the bargaining and negotiating over price (there is a locals price and a tourist price; I’m lousy at that and rarely did); often no sticker prices or receipts given (making for an interesting trip through customs); the lack of personal space given (street vendors often grab your arm of block your exit; sometimes members of the tour group are nose to your nose); the kamikaze scooter/motorcycle cowboys and cowgirls...
Egads! Was a tick tock sound coming from one of the crocodiles? ⏰
ReplyDeleteA very unique way to make a living.
Steph
Not what we would eat but man is adaptable to his surroundings. When in Rome.... but not sure if I would be brave enough to try any exotic foods or not.
ReplyDelete