The Fat Lady (and me?) Sings

A deep dive into an alien culture is a first for me. I not only saw as a tourist, I learned as a traveller -  about people, about history, about similarities and differences, about me. I have a deep respect for these SE Asian cultures. There were Jamie challenges to overcome - the constant demanding requests to buy or give money for an unasked service (a man on the street in Ho Chi Minh City started to clean the sole of my shoe with a toothbrush and wanted money; a 6 or 7 year old girl put a live tarantula on my chest and wanted 1000 riel, I didn’t even know it was there); the bargaining and negotiating over price (there is a locals price and a tourist price; I’m lousy at that and rarely did); often no sticker prices or receipts given (making for an interesting trip through customs); the lack of personal space given (street vendors often grab your arm of block your exit; sometimes members of the tour group are nose to your nose); the kamikaze scooter/motorcycle cowboys and cowgirls (there were ladies in very short skirts and spike heels, or formal business suits, or grandmas carrying a preschool grandchild); the language barriers. 

But learning the histories of this area sure puts a perspective on our differences and a surprising number of similarities. They are incredibly hard-working, often for little pay. They smile a lot They are helpful. Many seen content without riches or many worldly goods. This part of the world is 80% Buddhist and I think those teachings have had great affect. 

I stood tall in this crowd of short, slender, lithe folk. It was a good feeling until a sales lady patted my belly and said “Buddha” and laughed. LOL! The Are-You-Saying-I’m-Fat syndrome was a theme. I was travelling à la Jack Reacher and buying clothes as needed. My second day in Bangkok I was purchasing some shirts.  The lady gave me  XXXL. No! XL! I said. She got one and held it up to my shoulders and laughed and said NO WAY! Yet they eat rice three times a day and often noodles too and they stay trim.

My biggest surprise was Vietnam. In 1945, it was a country with no power grid, no educational system, no food delivery system, no banking system, few good and services etc.and cities in bombed ruins. And a Communist government with no money. Everyone struggled to exist. In 1986, economic reform brought in capitalist ideas. Under Communism, men and women are equal, at least in theory. So men and women could become home and land owners, start and own businesses. There are now quite a few millionaires and billionaires, in US$, not the local currency. Unemployment is 5%. Some women were being paid to scrape out moss and growth from between paving stones outside Ho Chi Minh’s mausoleum, not a lot of pay I’m sure, but employment. {an aside - I think I saw Ho Chi Minh raise his middle finger when I walked by his body wearing a Disney rain poncho}. Aside from a few in Ho Chi Minh downtown, we saw no homeless. I was surprised how easy entering and exiting the country was. Fingerprinted, thumbprinted, photographed both entries into Bangkok. A boom-ba-da-bing breeze in Vietnam  

These countries have endured centuries of constant conflict both internally and war with other countries despite sharing a common religion and heritage. The common folk just want to feed their families and honour their dead. Seems that their content today stems from the Buddha’s teachings of Forgiveness. But they won’t forget. 

A postscript about me and tours. Once the hard partying Aussies left our group in Ho Che Minh City the group, while still loving a snort, were much calmer. They are extremely generous, share food, advice, helpful travel hints, and offer emergency needs. And often lend $ when someone is short for a purchase. I did need wind down me time more often than them, who every night went to a bar or a function in free time. Or met in the lobby as a group after hours. It’s like herding cats when on a formal scheduled tour. Several time we had to go looking for or waiting long periods for lost members. They are worse than teachers when a guide or local is explaining a process or some history, talking loudly and wandering off. They talk over each other and sometimes the guide. Great people as long as I can get “far from the madding crowd” for a bit  

Thanks for sharing in my journey. There is a past Buddha, a present Buddha and a future Buddha. May your latter two smile on you. 

Cheers.

 

Comments

  1. Really enjoyed reading your posts and seeing the photos, Jamie! Looking forward to hearing more when I see you.
    Hugs, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful read. I identify w/all you learned & experienced. There’s no better education than to experience all for yourself. So glad you took the opportunity for such a trip. Safe travels home & I look forward to talking w/you once you’ve settled back in. HUGS - JO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice journaling Jamie; lots more oral stories to share over coffee I’m sure! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess we’ll call you Buddha Boy instead of Galt Boy? I’ve really enjoyed reading your blogs, Jamie. Looking forward to hearing more when you get home. Sophie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

Khan San Road